"So often it is our environment that limits our abilities,
not our own potential - help us to help you"
Weymouth & Portland Access Group is a voluntary organisation mostly comprised of people with disabilities. Our aim is to help local people, whether with physical disabilities or sensory impairments, to access services in the area; e.g. shops, restaurants, public buildings, churches, pubs and supermarkets. Also to make sure people using wheelchairs or mobility scooters can get through barriers, down kerbs, etc. Anyone who resides in Weymouth or Portland and who is disabled, or has an issue regarding disability may become a full member, or co-opted member respectively. They are involved in all the following areas:
- Consultation on Government Policies.
- Consultation on Council Policies.
- Improving Public Transport.
- Better information for all.
- Removing obstructions on the highway.
- Dropped kerbs.
- Tactile paving.
- Access to public buildings.
- Access to sports facilities.
- Accessible toilets.
- Countryside access.
- Comments on planning applications.
- Car Parking
- Support for "Lifetime Homes".
- Beach access.
- Talks to schools.
- Helping research projects.
OUR EQUAL OPPORTUNITY POLICY